Saturday, February 2, 2013

Buffet O'Rama


I'm on a buffet kick! Seriously, I've got like 3 of these waiting on the assembly line! I had picked this one up months ago. And, so it has sat in the garage awaiting my divine inspiration and artistic creation......OK,,,,gag! It sat because I was too lazy to get around to working on it. There. I said it. 


         However,,,,,sometimes things are best left to sit and simmer for a spell.....don'tcha think??


As usual, I took down the top to the raw. I love to sand! be careful when sanding veneer woods. Start at an 80-100 and work your way up to 220. Use your hands to feel. I Applied a pre-conditioner (a MUST before you stain to avoid uneven absorbency), a gel stain (don't remember exactly what I used. I mix my stains. Probably walnut and a red mahogany) and 2 coats of Deft water based acrylic top-coat in satin. I like using satin finishes on these old pieces. They weren't meant to be all glossy like the mid century stuff. 
Please don't use a wipe-on poly on a nice piece of wood like this. Deft in a can is so easy and it goes on beautifully. Get a good brush. I also like to use General Finishes Arm r Seal Urethane. If you have to use a wipe-on, use this one. It's amazing. 
           This is a fine example of "ribbon mahogany". See all the lines running across the top?


I think distressing all the nooks and crannies really adds so much to these old pieces. 
Sometimes you can go overboard or "patchy placement" can look phony. So, be careful.
 I hate the look of random distressing smack dab in the middle of the sides or drawers. 

                            I mixed my own CP again. Used "divine pleasure" by Behr. I like using the little Behr sample pots for CP. 2 parts paint to 1 part plaster of paris. mix the PP alone w/a little hot water until it's like pancake batter. Then slowly mix into the paint (you will need a separate container to store your new paint. 

I am the absolute worst when it comes to handles! I always lose one. Although, I think this piece was already short one handle when I got it. Of course I don't discover these things until I'm all done! So I went to my stash and found these chippendale style handles to put on the doors. First they all got sprayed with gold spray paint and then dry-brushed with the white. A quick go over with some sand paper and a quick spray of poly sealer. 
Love!!

To get a smooth surface before applying your wax, sand your paint with a very find grit 220 or 320. Be gentle! Go in one direction until it feels smooth as silk. Wipe it down. Now apply your wax and buff until you get a nice sheen. It shouldn't feel gritty, before or after you wax! Sand, people!
                 
                         The body got a good waxing with Myers clear wax. And that's all she wrote!

This one sold quickly. I believe the buyer said he was going to use it as a vanity bathroom cabinet.I cringe to think this beautiful top was going to hacked up, but hopefully he's using vessel sinks!


Linking up at these great parties:

                                                   The Dedicated HouseRedoux

23 comments:

  1. Unbelievably gorgeous!!! Love the crisp white against the wood :)
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Pretty. Love how it turned out. Dee from My Painted Stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you finally decided to get busy and painted it cause its gorgeous. I love it!
    Love that you stained the top. I would love for you to share at Transformed Tuesday. Hope to see you there. Hugs,Peggy~PJH Designs http://pjhdesignsoneofakind.blogspot.com/2013/02/transformed-tuesday-24-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a remarkable job! It is beautiful! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth, your refinish is beautiful!!! Love the shabby chic paint look too:) Stop by http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/search/label/fabulous%20flourless%20peanut%20butter%20cookie

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is stunning! How is it that you find so many of these? I can never find them at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is so beautiful!! stunning! Curious - what do you sell pieces like this for? I am featuring this in my weekly wow's tomorrow ( Sat) have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you left the top and the little bit of trim dark wood - it totally makes it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the wood,beautiful work.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beth, it's stunning! Thank you for sharing this at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beth, you will be one of the features tomorrow at the Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. See you tomorrow at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. So gorgeous! It has such a beautiful mahogany! Now, do you sand it by hand or do you use a mechanical palm sander? Thanks for sharing at The Dedicated House!
    Sara
    http://triedandtwisted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it ~ such a gorgeous color combo. I'm featuring it in this week's PoPP Spotlight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, this is absolutely stunning. Thanks for sharing. Featuring today at 2:00 PST!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Didn't think I'd like the painted bottom with wooden top. Boy, was I wrong. It's stunning. Must start on my table ! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Is the Deft in a can the same as a spray can? When you use the spray can do you stroke it out like you would out of a regular can? Why deft?

    ReplyDelete
  17. BEAUTIFUL JOB ON THE BUFFET, I WOULD LOVE TO FEATURE IT ON A SPECIAL IM DOING ON BUFFETS IF THIS WOULD BE OK PLEASE LET ME KNOW,
    LAUREN

    ReplyDelete
  18. QUE PRODUTO VOCE USA NA PARTE SUPERIOR DO MOVEL.
    PARA QUE FIQUE TÃO BRILHANTE ASSIM.
    OBRIGADO

    ReplyDelete