Saturday, November 28, 2015

Another Dixie mcm w/a Graphic Paint job!


I just love doing the mid century dressers and credenzas. For this one I used Fine Paints of Europe, Eco line. This is an acrylic/oil hybrid that is water based. The pigments in this paint are so rich and deep, they literally pop! For this piece I picked a gorgeous chartreuse. Now, this isn't a color that everyone can use, but I don't think it overwhelms the piece and will go with any gray, black/white decor. It's an accent piece. When I picked it up, someone had already taken off the legs and built some sort of base for it to sit on.  It came to mid thigh level! I asked the owner, "Where's the rest of it??:" 
 No, no. This base thing had to go! 
                   Luckily, i had some spare peg legs lying around the garage and attached those!


Everything got stripped and sanded. 
 These walnut drawers always finish up so nicely. Be very careful when doing these with an orbital sander. Its really easy to burn through the veneer, especially around the edges.
I used a regular walnut stain and GF Arm r Seal Urethane. Gorgeous!
 The reason for the graphic on top, was to hide some of the imperfect wood top. Most of it was in pretty good shape. I still had to strip and prepare it for staining. 
 I used a walnut stain and a java stain for the two different shades. A lot of taping followed!
This paint is very glossy. You must sand between coats. When I was done with the top, I just wiped on the Arm r Seal over everything, even tho the paint didn't need it. Too hard to just wipe it on the wood and I didn't want to apply tape to the paint. 



Tommy had to get in on the action
             I staged it under my artwork (Mark King), but since my couch sits there, it's a little high.


I moved it to another spot for a different look




This guy has since been sold and is currently residing in San Francisco! She loves it!) the owner!


2 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a fantastic makeover! Thanks for linking up with us at Best of the Weekend. I'm featuring this tomorrow night at our next party!

    ReplyDelete