Sunday, November 3, 2013

Feelin' some Blue




Love me some blue and gold! First, lets take a gander at this chunky monkey from the 
'70's. I've seen some of these done in bright bold lacquer colors. I love. Too bad we can't
do lacquer here in Cali. I used a semi-gloss enamel in this beautiful blue.
 Primer was a biggie on this one since it was that laminate-y type of finish. In retrospect, anytime 
you do a dark color, make sure you tint your primer. Any little divot and the white will show through. Even a dark gray would have been better than this white. I used my Command Max HVLP sprayer, for the first time in years, to spray the blue. I did a few coats, put it on the top shelf where it promptly fell 6 ft and shattered. Yep. Tried to fix it but it would not spray properly. I've been reading review for hours to  find a replacement. 


 And just because I didn't already do enough work, I decided on a little graphics to jazz it up.
Was going to try a Greek Key pattern, but I figured this was hard enough.
 Again, in retrospect, paint the base color first then you don't have to worry about taping twice!
  I didn't decide I wanted to do the pattern until after I had painted it blue. So, taped it off like you see, sealed the tape edges with the blue, then painted the gold.  When that dried, I reversed it.
  The photo below shows me sealing the tape edges with the gold. I did get very nice crisp lines.
This metallic paint is great. No complaints. 


I have loved to bring it inside to stage it for some pics, but I honestly have no place to put it. 

My next blue-ness is a night stand.
 I had seen one from TheeVelvetGlove and just loved the colors.
 She does some amazing and unique work.
Trying to distress with white underneath is a pain. I didn't want the white to show through. 
I used some turquoise chalk paint underneath some of the darker blue chalk paint.  I also used gold gilding wax to highlight the distressed areas and spray metallic for the metal parts. 


I think this is a cute little piece. I have the dresser that matches, but I'm not about to go about the process on that baby! Way too much work.  I just like to try out different techniques that come across. 
I realize this blue is not for everyone. But I love blues and greens! 
And as a painter, I think it's advantageous to explore other options and techniques, even though
 it may not be exactly your style. Besides, it's fun! I think it's cool for an eclectic accent piece. 
So, step outside the box once in awhile and do something different!

Linking up at my fave parties!! :
Kammys Korner - Trash to Treasure Tuesdays
Domestically Speaking - The Power of Paint Party
The Shabby Creek Cottage - Transformation Thursday
Miss Mustardseed - Furniture Feature Friday
Funky Junk Interiors - Saturday Night Special
Knick of Time Interiors - Knick of Time Tuesday
My RePurposed Life                                        

No comments:

Post a Comment