Saturday, August 18, 2012

Distressed/Beachy Combo!


Scored this little beat up gem off of CL. It looks good from afar, but trust me, 
she showed her age up close. 
I decided on a very shabby, anthro style. 

Here's what I did:




The bottom of all of these were in pretty poor shape. I cut and replaced all of them. 



This ancient insecticide bag I found stuck behind the drawers clued me into what all these tiny wormy-holes were!  Um, ewwww.   I filled them in, sanded, cleaned and painted all of the drawers.
 The entire body got a good sanding, holes were filled and everything wiped down.

 I gave the entire piece a light coat of bold cobalt milk paint. I then went over everything with
my home made chalk paint. (2:1...dissolve PP in hot water before adding to paint. Smooth as silk)
I used a Dunn Edwards color called, "Antique White" in a Behr paint.  I used maybe 1/4 of this!

This piece chipped to perfection. Very rustic. I used two coats of the white, sanded and finished
with a light paste wax. Here is one of the drawers with the new bottom. I was going to use 
these cobalt knobs, but then I found some others on Amazon that went perfectly with the 
blue and green! Love these! A little pricey, but I couldn't use the original
because three were missing. 



 The top was restained, tung oiled and dark paste wax. 




I thought it went pretty well with the beachy subway art table. **They are both for sale**  !!!

 The wood on the top is so pretty. I couldn't paint it. I Love to leave the tops natural.

Linking up to all my faves below plus: betweennapsontheporch.net , my uncommon slice of suburbiaThe Dedicated House new house new home new lifeCoastal CharmThe Shabby Creek CottageFrom my front porch to yours, House of Hepworths

11 comments:

  1. what a beautiful compliment to your coffee table - you distressed it perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful! I love the new look!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous piece, totally love what you did, yet again you've given me inspiration!

    Lesley in Brisbane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have featured your dresser at the All Star Block Party features. Stop by and grab a featured button.

    Holly
    http://fullcirclecreations.blogspot.com/2012/08/its-feature-time_20.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, Oh my - what a gorgeous piece you helped her to become! Love the color and all the aging! Your table is pretty special too! I'll have to try out the tung oil never used! Such a pretty beachy combo! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I LOVE the chippy, shabby look and you nailed it! Your coffee table is super cute, too! I'm your newest follower and would love you to visit and say hi :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! Love the coffee table too! X Rani

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! What a fabulous make over. Thanx for sharing at tHT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh love this look shabby and beachy...perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to try out your chalkpaint recipe. I saw what you put about the 2:1 ratio of pp to hot water but once that is mixed up how much paint do you add it to? I've been using 1/3 cup calcium carbonate to one cup of paint. I thought I would try yours to see if I like it better.
    Thanks so much!


    http://restorationredoux.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete