Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Stanley Bamboo dresser Finally finished!

Man oh man. The nightmares of all nightmare prep jobs! Behold this classic, vintage Asain style dresser made by Stanley. Originally it was done in that icky yellow. 
Like this: 

But some genius decided to throw on some black paint. Literally. Was the worst paint job, ever!







 I thought with some sanding it would prep up easily enough. Uh, no. The top and sides were ok, but those drawers?? OMG.
 This was after applying a stripper and starting to scrape. The "wood" is actually some sort of resin type material that's hard, but crumples if you chip at it. This was beyond horrific. Seriously. Took me about 20 hours before I could even put a brush to it. This is why I don't buy painted pieces~!


But,,,,Totally worth it in the end....
 This piece was custom painted for a customer in Chicago. She wanted a Robins Egg Blue.

I actually like the way it goes w/my wood ceiling and gray walls in the living room. 
I suggested this gorgeous Teal for the inner drawers.

Once the paint went on the waffling, the drawers came out ok. 
This waffle stuff on the middle drawers just made things more ridiculous. It was impossible to make these holes look smooth and clean. 
Each one of these rounded 'tiers' were all sanded by hand to smooth them out, delineate the grooves, and remove excess old paint. 

BM Advance Glossy. Everything was done by hand on this baby. 







 I so wish I had the time to stage it properly. 
But it weighed a ton and was going out the next morn.


























                                    *****************UPDATE PHOTOs**********

The customer I painted this for sent me some photos of the piece in her bedroom.
It looks stunning!  She has some mad design skills!! I love her room and adjoining bathroom.
Thanks Maaike!!!!












14 comments:

  1. This looks gorgeous. I appreciate how much effort it took just to get to the paint stage. Kudos to your courage. It's beautiful -- and the interior is perfect. I saw your link at the Painted Drawer Party. Ann Marie at Iris Abbey www.irisabbey.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Beth, that was a ton of work! But the end result is gorgeous! Featured you at Be Inspired this morning. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going through the same torture right now with a previously "painted" piece! This is just stunning. Featuring tonight on The Painted Drawer Link Party and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beth, this turned out amazing! Thank you for sharing. You are one of the features at the Make it Pretty party at The Dedicated House. Here is the link to this week's party. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-146.html Hope to see you there! Have a great week. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth! Wanted to let you know that the Weekly Feature Series is live for one more chance for you to shine. Here is the link so you can check out your feature. http://www.thededicatedhouse.com/2015/08/weekly-feature-series_15.html Have a lovely Sunday! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this piece! I would love to see it in its new home. The drawer interiors are perfect, too.
    Julie (Renaissance Mermaid)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second last picture, the one with the black walls, that is the new home, the customer's bedroom!

      Delete
  7. What an incredible transformation, definitely worth all the work you made it into a breathtaking piece of furniture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning! What a transformation and what looks like a lot of work! Great job! I hope you'll share your furniture makeovers with Friday's Furniture Fix! Doors open every Thursday night at 9:00PM EST and close on Monday at 11:59PM EST http://thirtyeighthstreet.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-taylor-dresser.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. The customer does have an eye for design.
    Good job on the piece! Totally worth it I see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How pretty! Worth all that hard work. You should be showing off. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - I can't believe that's the same piece! Beautiful transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the work you put into the dresser. Amazing! I now have just one request, I want your customers bed!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at the "before" photo, I would have just set it on fire. So ugly! It is now absolutely gorgeous! I especially love the interiors of the drawers. Bold and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete