Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Reclaimed Wood Herringbone Pattern Ceiling Project!!!!

So I believe I mentioned a few weeks ago about wanting to try something different on our living room ceiling. It's vaulted and huge and so bare! I got a huge pile of 100 year-old reclaimed douglas fir.
This wood has so much character! I envisioned a wood that was distressed yet
smoothed over by coastal grays, whites and blues. I'm redoing the room in grays witha  
charcoal-gray velvet on the couch, silver walls, silver travertine flooring in a Versailles pattern,
touches of yellow, teal, white,,,,,I can see it all in my head. But for now, all I have 
is the ceiling. I worked for two solid days.

What in the world was I thinking!! Houzz and Pinterest should be removed from the Internet!
***Please click on the individual picture to see the larger format**



I need a wide-angle lens. I just can't get the whole room in the shot!

So here is how it all began and what I started with:
Of course I had a multitude of other projects going on!
 Over 300 square ft!  They were all stained and painted....one by one.....oy!  I used a weathered gray stain, sunbleached stain, and mixtures of white and gray milk paint  
(REAL MILK PAINT CO. is my fave milk paint!!) 
I would work in batches since I was limited in space. This process alone took me about 2 weeks.







My husband stripped each board of it's "tongue"(it was fabricated for flooring) and cut in 3' lengths. We made a jig for that part to assure each board was identical in length.

We measured off the center of the ceiling and snapped a chalk line. 
 From that point we found the 45 degree angle and started the first board. 
The boards were secured with Liquid Nails and a pneumatic nailer. 
(Lord help me if I ever get tired of this look!)
Excuse the armpit shot
We would check for our 45 angle to make sure we were on track. It is imperative that every board is cut identical when doing the herringbone. One funky board will throw off everything!

randomly picking out "random' colored boards
We used liquid nails along with the nailer. This is earthquake country baby!!
This is the part where the work came in. Thats 14 feet up! Mr Pretty stayed on the ladder, called out the measurement of each board, and I cut them and threw them up to him. Going up and down the ladder for each and every board would have been tortuous! Ditto for the boards that butted up against the boarder. I got really good at the chop saw and making miter cuts!! 
(BTW,,,each single row is 39 boards!! Um,,there were like 11 rows!
 Uh-huh...You can do the math!!





Click on this pic to get the full page effect. The wood is so cool looking!
The pics don't do justice to the chandelier!! 
Placing the very last piece!!! OMGthankyouJesusI'mdone!!





below pic shows part II beginning. (Does this never end???)
4-2-13
Getting ready for some silver travertine flooring!
Got the floor finished in the past few days! Versaille pattern. Man oh man, that is some work!
Still have to grout.....I hate grouting.




daytime-no cat
night time-cat


To see what the room finally looks like all done.....see HERE

I've since changed things around (2016),,,new rug,,dining room was painted a similar gray, chairs are gone,,,



Linking up at these great parties:


                                                   The Dedicated HouseRedoux


entered at East Coast Creative!!





53 comments:

  1. This is ( BAR NONE ) the most spectacular ceiling I have EVER seen.
    OMG - you must be sore - but what a small price to pay when you can lay down and look up at that as your reward!!!
    Out of this world awesome - REALLY - I am completely blown away by this!
    XOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Well worth all the hard work you put into that gorgeous ceiling. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a Rock Star and your talent is off the charts incredible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is amazing!! Well worth the end result! Pinning and sharing on my FB page right now!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow--that's amazing! looks like a ton of work, but worth it--good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The word ambitious doesn't begin to describe this project. My husband would think I was crazy if I suggested a project like this and he's really great and does most of my projects without a fuss! It's beyond gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my husband thinks I'm crazy, hands down. But he indulges me anyway :)

      Delete
  7. You guys deserve metals of valor!! Or at least strength and determination. When I first looked, I thought it was 3D, so did hubs! You better love herringbone for the rest of your life!!!! LOL
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning! That is sure to be quite the conversation piece when people come over! You should be very proud of all your hard work & creativity. Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG what an amazing project!! Thanx for sharing it over at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Impressive. You need a high ceiling for this look and I think you have it. Lots of good work you put into this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. holy smokes, that is seriously amazing! you deserve some major props for this, b/c this is a big space to do that. i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. simply jaw-dropping on every level. stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Beth,

    Wow! What a job! But so worth it! Gorgeous! I'm so glad you linked up at Transformed Tuesday. I'm a new follower.

    Hugs,
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my goodness, what a huge undertaking! It looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Don't think I have ever typed the words I am about to type in a comment section, but they are the only ones that convey my thoughts...
    UNFRIGGEN BELIEVEABLE!!! Totally in a good way. Amazing. Anyone who has vaulted ceilings and has ever done anything to them, knows what a commitment your project was. Seriously, I want to use swear words (also in a good way).

    Bliss

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is amazingly crazy! It looks superb! Thank you for linking this up with Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Spectacular! You will be one of the features from Make it Pretty Monday at The Dedicated House! Pop on in and take a look when you get a moment. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing ceiling! You guys should give yourselves a big pat on the back for a job truly well done! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW! Spectacular. Who needs anything else in that room...it's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh my goodness! Im so proud and impressed! My hubby would never go for this...lol !
    Id love for you to come by and share at our party!

    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/04/love-it-list-it-linky-party-6.html
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice work .Thanks for the share. Keep up writing so that we can get more informative blogs like this one.
    travertine versaille pattern

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Beth Im featuring this project at our Love It & List It Linky Party !! love to have ya back :)

    http://www.lifewelive4.com/2013/04/love-it-list-it-linky-party-7.html

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  23. Incredible. This is beautiful. I showed it to my husband and he said we don't have enough time left to do that. You did a beautiful job. I can't imagine how much work this was but I am sure it is worth it. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, that is impressive! You can take pride in having something very unique and creative. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. FABulous job! I especially luv the contrast of the rustic wood to the chandelier.
    Just beautiful~ Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy crap that is the most amazing ceiling I've ever seen on these internets!! Seriously GOOD JOB! YOU ARE AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am in complete awe and drool state still! WOW! I will be dreaming of covering my ceiling and my husband to want to help me install for years to come! your ceiling is beautiful! I have always adored wood planked ceilings... but you took it to another level!!! Congrats!!!
    Jeanne
    www.idreamofjeannedesigns.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am blown. away. Amazing!! I bet your arms were sore for a while after all that reaching.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Women BUILDING stuff! Beautiful, creative, demanding projects that stretch our minds and bodies. I salute you! Build on! It's magnificent.....
    http://buildandrebuild.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. WOW! This is an amazing ceiling. I think I would've given up before even getting started! Way to persevere and get it done - the results are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW this ceiling is too pretty for words. I am in love with the herringbone pattern you used. The wood tones are gorgeous!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. WOW! You really took on a project with that ceiling, I am very impressed! It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Whoa. Saw this at East Coast Creative. Amazing. I love weathered wood and I love interesting ceilings. This is Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This is stunning!! I also love your velvet ottoman. I had a chair reupholstered in the same colour, but can't get it to photograph so well.

    http://dans-le-townhouse.blogspot.ca/2013/09/the-velvet-chair-is-done.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Your ceiling is gorgeous! Amazing job.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Replies
    1. I believe the correct word you mean is, "disgusting". But thank you. You are the minority. This has been pinned all over Pinterest and has been met with all positive comments. I'm sure there are people that wouldn't want it as their decor, and thats fine. We all have different tastes. But disgusting??? wow. It's not like I plastered naked babies up on the ceiling. Lets see some of your designs?? The only thing on your page is an outdated bathroom remodel.

      Delete
    2. ASLAN Design and Renovation Inc, didn't you ever learn the golden rule? if you don't like something keep it to yourself! Posting this with your company name is bad for business. Dumb move on your part! Plus you can't even use spell check!?!

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. BTW Beth@Makemeprettyagain, I like the warmth it gives the room. Nice job!

      Delete
  37. C'mon ASLAN. Disgusting? How can anyone not appreciate the lasting beauty that was created from 100-year-old wood. We are planning something similar in a small powder room, which will seem like a piece of cake after seeing what you and your husband went through. Thank you for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Absolutely the most amazing ceiling I have even seen! GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I would love to have something like this in my family. Any suggestions on help in Las Vegas. Nv

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have been trying to figure out something to cover popcern ceiling in kitchen and dining room. I have now found it. Thinking of ising laminate flooring because of weight if i can find something similar to the look you have. Absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Would this look good with an 8 foot ceiling ??

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is beautiful! I actually found your pictures while googling doing the same exact thing to my ceiling I'm a little crazy that way too.
    We are in the process of renovating a house and unfortunately had to pull out all the plaster and lath. Because I have some serious issues with DIY we have saved a great majority of the lath. huge piles everywhere!
    I can't wait to get started!

    ReplyDelete