Thursday, January 3, 2013

Victorian Dresser in Turquoise Milk Paint

I picked up this stunning dresser and matching mirror awhile back.  
It most assuredly is from the Victorian period. So I'm putting it's age 
at 110+!  Other than a few dings, broken casters and some carvings on the top, it
was in damn good condition. (Minus the hideous contact paper lining the drawers...OMG)

My fave shade of milk paint, cobalt blue (really turquoise) from the Real Milk Paint Co.
I'm in love with this color! It so suits this era of furniture, IMHO. 

So here is the application of the milk paint. I had already sanded and cleaned the wood and touched
up stain in the spots that needed it. The milk paint flaked perfectly. I didn't want a lot of paint,

just hints of it to look like it wore off with the last hundred years. 




                        The drawer bottoms had seen better days. They never withstand the 100 year mark.
the scarf is from my trip to Costa Rica! 


            Love the original brass hardware. Yes, it took quite some time to polish. I hate this part!

I think the mirror should be hung on the wall rather that attached to the piece. 
It's a beast. Must weigh 50 lbs!


I’m partying at:
The Girl CreativeThe Southern Institute
Homemaker on a DimeBetween Naps on the Porch
Mod Vintage LifeMaking the World Cuter
Boogieboard CottageThe Dedicated House
Knick of Time InteriorsCoastal Charm
My Uncommon Slice of SuburbiaElizabeth and Co.
Cedar Hill RanchNifty Thrifty Things
Carolyn’s HomeworkA Diamond in the Stuff
Ivy and ElephantsThe Thrifty Home
Gingersnap CraftsMy Girlish Whims
Handy Man Crafty Woman733 Blog
We are That FamilySavvy Southern Style
Home Stories A to ZFine Craft Guild
PrimpBeyond the Picket Fence
The Shabby Creek CottageThe 36th Avenue
Katherine’s CornerBrambleberry Cottage
From My Front Porch to YoursBlissful Rhythm
A Daily Cup of Mrs. OlsonA Glimpse Inside
The Artsy GirlStacey Embracing Change
French Country CottageRedoux Interiors
The Shabby NestFinding Fabulous
Romantic HomeHomespun Happenings
At the Picket FenceChic on a Shoestring Decorating
Delicate Construct

7 comments:

  1. A tumbler with walnut shells would polish the hardware with no effort on your part. Just put the hardware in with some brass and turn it on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today, I went to the beach with my children. I found a sea shell and
    gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She
    placed the shell to her ear and screamed.
    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear. She
    never wants to go back! LoL I know this is entirely off topic but I had to tell
    someone!
    My web site - how to get rid of acne quickly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning! Did you use dark wax over this? I'm just in awe of the gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I loved how you tied in the top without painting the whole thing! Great piece :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful character. ( I kinda liked that old paper liner) maybe from afar?? Lol

    ReplyDelete