Monday, July 23, 2012

Carved Buffet in Milk Paint

Another Milk Paint saga! This little buffet was the guinea pig for my 3rd trial at milk paint!
The Real Milk Paint co. had sent me some colors in Peacock Blue and Black. 
Since I'm redoing my living room in grays, teals and blue-gray, I thought I would try out the peacock blue,  which is really a dark greenish teal. I decided to mix peacock and that really 
intense cobalt-ultra marine blue to get the below color. 
I just love mixing paint and creating my own colors!





I picked up this little gem back in March and it's been sitting in my garage ever since.  I just could not decide on a color!  It had this weird varnish in a dead-fish gray color that was so ever not appealing.
As you can see, this piece is a block of solid oak with a very defined and heavy grain. You could sand till the cows came home and not get a smooth finish.

First step, stripping.  Yeah! My most favorite thing to do!!! NOT.
 OMG, tiny nooks and crannies are an absolute stripping nightmare. 

I've talked about my Soy Gel stripper before, but I'll say it again, "This stuff is da bomb!" 
No odor, non toxic, you don't even need gloves, you can clean it up with straight water
 and it works just as well if not better than that nasty stuff. I'm serious, if you have to strip wood, this is what you want. I got mine online about 5 years ago but you can go to the 
"realmilkpaint" site and purchase it as well. And check out their colors
for their paint line! 


 If you have very soft wood, I wouldn't recommend using a heavy wire brush to clean. It will scratch the crap out of it. However, this oak was so dense, I needed something strong. 
So here are the milk paint colors. The greenish-teal is the actual peacock blue and the one on the right is my mixture.  I used both colors on the piece as well as another lighter blue.


 It's really hard to tell what your color will look like until you put your finishing tung oil or wax on it.
The above picture is what it looks like when the paint dries. The one below is after applying the
Tung oil finish!   Quite the difference!   It's quite easier than applying wax.
 You mix the
pure tung oil with some citrus solvent (All natural and used to make the oil spreadable. it evaporates)  and apply. Thats it. Waxing is quite the workout! This is super easy.  (And the tung oil you get at Home Depot is NOT the same. Look at the label,,,,it says
Tung-Oil FINISH. Very little if any actual tung oil.


 The top was pretty simple. Sanded and applied a coat of MinWax "Special Walnut".

 The hardware was absolutely horrific. It was 50+years of tarnish and black "I don't know what".
Brasso barely touched it. I even used my wire polishing wheel. That got about half of it off. I gave up and used Rub n Buff in "Gold Leaf".  Looks great!


The drawer liner things were covered in a yucky green velvet.  Um, no. Buh-bye


                                                     Just a little close-up of the detailing.
 I am going to try and stage this baby inside the house as soon as I find a helper to move it

Here is the living room in the beginning to change phase. I'm thinking this corner of the room because it's somewhat of a dead space. The grayish blue on the wall is the color I'm debating. 


 I'm not leaving the campaign piece here, I just don' t have a spot for it yet.  I seriously need to unload some furniture!




Sharing at all my fave party places at the bottom of this page!

plus: betweennapsontheporch.net , my uncommon slice of suburbia, The Dedicated House , new house new home new life

15 comments:

  1. this turned out beautiful! GREAT COLOR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful piece! I love milk paint lately!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I love that you left the top stained and it has such beautiful details. I haven't used milk paint yet and I've been making my own "chalk" paint due to budget constraints right now. What brand of milk paint do you use? Do you find that it goes far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i don't know if you will check back for this ans, but here goes: "Real Milk Paint Co." Compared to chalk paint it's a little more work in my opinion. I don't think it goes as far. I like that I don't have to use wax to finish it like chalk paint. The tung oil or burnishing paste is much more use friendly. (see their website for more info on that)
      What I do like about it is the depth it adds to raw wood. I love the colors. On the cobalt blue piece (Go bold or Go Home), you just cant find that vibrancy in chalk paint.

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was me posting above. I forgot to change from my husband's account. :P

    I love this piece. The color is stunning, very nice work mixing the paints. Milk paint is on my 'to try' list, but I haven't made it there yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool carved piece! You transformed it beautifully! Stopping by from the Power of Paint Party.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this piece. The color you mixed is fabulous! It turned out really great! Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party!

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really gorgeous - I haven't tried milk paint - have to get on the wagon if this is the result!!!
    Definitely your newest follower - would love to have you follow back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHOA!!! This finish is extreme! love the milk paint effect great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wanted you to know I featured your lovely buffet on my blog today-have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It really is just perfect! Thank you for sharing this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see your prettiness again on Monday. Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  12. First of all I just LOVE how this piece turned out! What I am curious about is why you felt the need to strip the entire piece? Couldn't you have just painted over the finish with the paint.. just wondering if there is a adhesion issue.. Thanks so much! - Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I featured your buffet at the All Star Block Party Features. Stop by and grab a button.

    http://fullcirclecreations.blogspot.com/2012/07/its-feature-time_30.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,
    I'm thinking about milkpainting my plywood floors upstairs. I'm thinking about pearl mixed with a little blue or skyblue, and dilluting it so that it is a light washy blue/grey color and shows the wood grain, etc. Now my only concern is the topcoating: if I use tung oil (the pure, not the dark) and cut it 50/50 with citrus solvent, do you think it will darken it alot? Should I allow for it by making my milkpaint lighter? Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've never used the Real Milk Paint before. :-) This is sort of my inspiration:
    http://chelleshead.blogspot.com/2012/06/painted-plywood-floor.html
    -Katie

    ReplyDelete