Monday, April 23, 2012

The Agave Color Antique Dresser Make-over

Here is my newest re-do (I'm on a tear lately refinishing stuff!).
This was a nice little antique dresser I picked up from CL. I met a lady
who handles estate sales. She got this from the original owner, so it was in ok
 shape. The top was pretty messed up and it
had a lot of dings and scratches, but the drawers were in pretty
good condition for being 80 years old! 
two sided sticky tape was used to affix the mirror to the back:(
I'm still working on fixing and painting the mirror part.  


Mr. Agave!


So I wanted to do an aqua-y color, but I wanted a bit of green to show through.
I just love blues and greens. So I played around with the colors and used my
new shades from Martha. 

This photo was used with a flash. You can see how the color washes out. 
 I brushed on Behr's "lilypad" before going over it with my chalk paint made from
MS "lagoon". 


The top I refinished in Varathane "Gel Walnut". This stuff is the bomb people.
Forget the Minwax. This gel stain is fabuloso!!! So easy and nice and comes out
flawless. It dried so quickly because this wood was so dried out. I used one
coat of the gel, a seal-coat, and then finished it with dark paste wax. 
The whole dresser got a coat of dark wax to tone down the color
and give it an aged look.  
I really hate the waxing process. :)




It was a cloudy afternoon. Again, the flash just kills the colors. 

I wasn't sure which hardware to go with. I tried on many different knobs.
I didn't have anything in the blue/green family except some light blue milk glass. 
It looked a bit nursery-ish and too close to the color of the paint. 

I was going to line the drawers with this fabric.  Apparently I'll have to line it with the cat as well.



 So here is a shot with a portion of the mirror done.
I still have to do the arm thingy-s that allow it to move.


The mirror by itself is actually a beautiful piece. Since the piece that was affixed to the top with
sticky tape was literally falling apart, Hub made a new one to set on the top. There is another piece
that attaches to the mirror (I dont have that in the photo)I'm actually leaving that natural wood.

19 comments:

  1. Love the colour! what a great way to add some colour to a room *making mental note* Thank you! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did such a great job on this! And such a great color choice! I love it!
    I would love for you to stop by and link this up!
    http://natural-nester.blogspot.com/2012/04/naturally-nifty-linky-party-11.html

    -Brittany (aka Little Sis)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I just did a side table in a similar color...I am loving the greens and blues right now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just gorgeous! Thank you for sharing at my party. I haven't tried the Varathane Gel Stain, picking some up this weekend! -K

    ReplyDelete
  5. great redo the color is beautiful, i would love to feature it if that would be ok with you please let me know,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I featured your super pretty turquoise dresser today at Mod Mix Monday!


    http://modvintagelife.blogspot.com/2012/04/mod-mix-monday-48.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did such a great job at making this look amazing and like new...with some character :-) I just wanted to let you know that we featured it on our Naturally-Nifty Linky Party today!! Thanks so much for linking up!

    Stop by and pick up a button to brag with on your blog! Also we pinned this on Pinterest!

    This week's party is live now, so stop by and link up!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pretty! Great work, I know it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I featured your gorgeous dresser on my blog Finding Fabulous today! It's our trash to treasure post. LOVE your revamp!!! Grab our feature button if you like.

    Jane
    Finding Fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there. What a fabulous makeover. Coming over from Finding Fabulous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great dresser! Love how there's a second color peeking out from under the distressing. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - I wouldn't have even guessed that was the same dresser! You really did an amazing job at redoing it!! (and the fact that it's my favorite color doesn't hurt either!)

    I would love it if you would link up at Watch Out, Martha!’s first link up party: Martha Mondays, going on now through Wednesday! Hope to see you there!
    http://www.watchoutmartha.net/2012/05/martha-monday-link-up-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. All your stuff is awesome, but this i my favorite!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this dresser times 10... will you ship it to me stat? lol. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beth, this transformation is AWESOME!!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how do I contact you regarding some of these dressers? I've been looking for a while now and I LOVE the designs/colors you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Are you actually MIXING regular paint in your undercoat and then using milk paint on top? Am I reading this correctly? I two-tone chalk paint pieces using Annie Sloan CP and CeCe Caldwell's CP but didn't think about mixing other paint under milk paint.

    MORE INFO PLEASE!!

    Donna Allgaier-Lamberti / White Oak Studio Designs / SW Michigan
    Hand-Painted Vintage Furniture Transformations
    Blog: http://smallhouseunderabigsky.wordpress.com
    Facebook: donnaallgaierlamberti@facebook.com (To see a portfolio of painted pieces for sale)

    ReplyDelete