Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Vintage Desk in Navy Blue


I found this darling little vintage desk a few months back. 
However, the top could not be salvaged. I thought about scraping it (way too much work) and painting underneath, but I found out it was particle board. So rather than scrape and redo another laminate top, 
I though why not just make a solid wood top??!

So thats what I did. I went to the lumber yard and found some solid cherry "shorts" for a song!
You can see where I started to scrape off the top. Fugettibout it! 

 Here are the 3 boards glued and jigged together getting sanded. 
The edges were also routed to smooth them out. 
 I think I used a combo of stains. I know I did a gel in dark walnut. I might have thrown in some
                                red mahogany just to brighten it up a bit. Cherry is beautiful!


And here is the desk all put together!

Yes, I painted the "Union Jack" as well! 

Oh, and the chair too! 
Would this not be adorable in a boys room????

I love the new top better than the original! 


If I never have to paint a "jack" again, it will be fine with me! LOL





This beaut is for sale!!

UPDATE>>>>>>I repainted it in BLACK because after a few months, no one seemed to be interested in the blue! The black is very spiffy! It sold within a week!

Man oh man I love that cherry wood! 

4 comments:

  1. Very creative doing the asymmetrical stripe on the chair! Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks awesome with the chair, too-i love the dipped legs! and that new wood top is a HUGE improvement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great makeover! Thanx for sharing at THT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you did with that desk (and the chair and the Union Jack)! Way to go!
    ~Jenn

    ReplyDelete