Friday, March 21, 2014

Cute little Victrola Cabinet Make-Over!

As if stalking Craigslist in my hometown isn't enough, I have to stalk in neighboring states! When the other half went to visit family in AZ, I just had to take a gander of what was for sale there! He brought back two small mid century cabinets. This one used to house a victrola phonograph, or record player. People born from 1980 on have no clue what I'm referring to. 
Something like this:
So when I got the one below, someone had already gutted it. 
And not very kindly either....
The wood was decent. 
That imitation "wood" contact paper had to go! I planned on replacing it with some cool fabric.
The legs and top were sanded and stained. 

I knew I wanted to try a stencil on the top. I didn't realize when I ordered this, that it was so big! 

I used CeCe's black chalk paint that I mixed with some gold glitter things you buy with Valspars' metallic paint

And here is what I ended up with! 

Can you see the bling??? Look at 5 o'clock. 

 I love this Ikat fabric called "Licorice". Thought it suited this piece perfectly! I was going to bring the fabric all the way up the sides and back to hide the hack job of whomever gutted this guy, but then I thought I would just make things easy on me can spray the inside and underside of the top. The outside was hand brushed with BM black in a semi-gloss. 
 I love this little guy. Could be a side table or a night stand.
So many ways to deck it out. Books, baskets, whatever! 

You might also like:

Monday, March 17, 2014

An Ebonized Cerused Campaign Dresser

I picked up this very nice Lane campaign chest while stalking CL ;)
Ya know, if you've followed my blog at all, you know I'm into the unique and colorful. 
I hate doing the same old thing with the same old boring paint. I constantly strive to do something outside of the box as well as doing something different. Painting furniture has really gone wild in the last year. I don't know who put out the memo, but it used to be just me and one or two other ladies in my area. Now it's like every other person and their mother is doing it! Slap some chalk paint on a piece of furniture, put it up for sale at some ridiculously low price and voila! Professional furniture painter! 
 So, because of that, I like to mix things up. 
           I wanted to do the ceruse technique again.  If you missed my previous post, click here.....
At the bottom is the original drawer, stripped and at the top, stained with aniline dye in ebony.
 As much as I love these finished pieces, they are quite the pain to transform. It's the hardware!! Do you know much work it is to remove all of these pieces? The handles are bad enough to clean and scrub and polish but then add in all the corner pieces and their screws! There was like, 60 of them!?? Those were sprayed because they are just too small to polish. Everything else got elbow grease and Brasso. Then comes the fun task of putting everything back on! Seriously. Takes forever. Oh, when removing the pieces, I mark all their positions. Stuff just fits better if you put it back in their original spots. IMHO

Like the other one I did, this is a walnut veneer. Still waiting to try this out on an oak piece. 

Here she is! 

                                             Obviously the ceruse just got done to the drawers. 
                                             The body was done in a SW semi-gloss black enamel.
Black is so hard to photograph
 I rolled and brushed the enamel. Numerous times. 
I love this piece because it's not cookie cutter. You won't find another out there like it! 

Thursday, March 6, 2014

French Vanity in a new milk paint color!

I found this vanity that a lady was selling as a set. I've been on the lookout for one just like it so I could try out this new color called, "Gypsy Pink" from the Real Milk Paint Co.
I saw it on another vanity similar to this one and thought it looked gorgeous! 
 I did sand the top down completely. In other parts, I didn't so I used the bonding agent.

 I mod podged some fabric on the sides and painted the bottoms in "Radiant Orchid". 
 Yes, this really is the color! More like a fuchsia than pink. 
 I used a tung oil and paste wax to finish off the paint.